When I originally posted this list in 2008, my daughter had just got her braces on. Well, 5 years later, she has just gone back into braces for the second time (to fix something different) and it is time for us to review what she can and can not eat with her braces on.
Our orthodontist gave us a great list of foods you should and shouldn’t eat with braces. I am publishing it here for two reasons – one, so I can find the list again quickly, and two, so you can find it quickly if you have a child with braces.
The following foods can break or loosen the orthodontic appliances in your mouth, so don’t even think about eating them – your orthodontist will not be happy!
- Beef jerky
- Slim jims
- Caramels, Rolos candy
- Frozen candy bars
- Tootsie Rolls
- Candy Canes
- Gummy Bears
- Fruit Roll ups (the dentist hates these too – she calls them sugar glue)
- Fun Fruits
- Hard Taco shells
- Granola bars
- Bubble Gum (sugar free stick gum is okay)
- Peanut Brittle
- Now & Laters
- Jolly Ranchers
- Sugar Daddies
- Air Heads
Or basically anything hard, sticky or chewy. Also don’t suck on lemons or limes.
Some foods can be eaten if you use caution like:
- Potato chips – break into small pieces and chew with back teeth
- Popcorn – one or two pieces at a time
- Raw fruits and veggies – cut into small pieces – don’t bite with front teeth
- Corn on the cob – cut off cob
- Chicken, steak, pork chops, ribs – cut meat off bone and then eat
- Soda – brush teeth immediately after finishing or at a minimum rinse with water
If your child has a bracket pop or come off, contact your orthodontist immediately!