I am a huge fan of vinegar-based summer salads and salsas having been raised on three-bean salads, homemade salsas, cucumber salads and the like. However, I have been eating gluten-free since May (that’s a whole other post) and not all vinegars are gluten-free. I was given the opportunity to review seasoned rice vinegars from Nakano - which are gluten-free – and use them in a recipe, so it’s no surprise I decided to make a vinegar-based salad/salsa.
Let’s start with the recipe from the Mizkan website:
- 1/4 cup NAKANO Seasoned Rice Vinegar Original or Roasted Garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon each chili powder and ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 can (16 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed, or canned corn, drained
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- In large serving bowl, combine rice vinegar, oil, jalapeno, garlic, chili powder, cumin and hot pepper sauce; mix well. Add remaining ingredients; toss gently. Serve as an accompaniment to grilled seafood, meats, chicken or hamburgers.
- Serves 4 to 6.
This recipe is super easy to make and I recommend making a double batch right from the start – partially because it is SO good and also because vinegar based salads will last for 4-6 days in the refrigerator and just get better every day! My other tip is to use the Roasted Garlic flavored Rice Vinegar – it works so well with these ingredients.
You can serve this healthy, high-fiber Black Bean, Corn and Red Pepper Salsa as a salsa with chips or as a salad – or you can use it to top burgers (my personal favorite) or grilled chicken, too.
Nakano Seasoned Rice Vinegar is a fat-free, low-calorie, gluten free and versatile product that will enhance any of your favorite recipes and dishes. Instead of covering your food in heavy dips, use flavorful Nakano rice vinegar to add taste without paying the price in calories and fat. Nakano Seasoned Rice Vinegar comes in many flavors, including Original, Roasted Garlic and Red Pepper.
The Nakano team wants you to get even healthier this summer by participating in the Nakano 60-Day Splash it on, Step it up Challenge on Facebook. The Facebook app includes fun and helpful fitness tips as well as a step tracker wrapping around a globe that shows you the number of steps walked by all the participants so far. I signed up for the app and look forward to logging my 6,000 steps (about 3 miles) that I will be walking tomorrow.
In conjunction with the 60-Day Splash, Nakano is giving away prizes, too:
- First prize of a one-year free gym membership. If over 1 million steps are reached over the course of the 60 days, a second 1st prize will be awarded.
- Second prize winner receives six personal training sessions.
- Third prize winner will receive a Nakano workout bag.
I wrote this review while participating in a campaign by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Nakano and received a product sample to facilitate my review and a promotional item to thank me for participating.