Gluten Free Mocha Brownies Recipe
Coffee and chocolate? Yes, please! One thing I learned years ago, when I got my first taste of a gluten free brownie, is that gluten free brownies are so much better than their flour laden cousins – and add a little espresso kick to the mix and oh, how yummy!
I originally posted this recipe a few years ago and recently made them and oh, how yummy they were. As we are heading into the season of graduation, end of school and beginning of summer parties, these are going to be my go-to dessert to take to the party.
GLUTEN FREE MOCHA BROWNIES
15 Medjool dates, pitted, soaked and drained
¼ cup water
9 T raw cocoa
¼ cup agave syrup
¼ cup coconut oil, soft, not liquid
1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained
½ tsp baking powder
2 T espresso, ground fine
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Blend dates (in a blender) and ¼ cup water on high until it becomes a paste
3. Add eggs, cocoa, agave, coconut oil, baking powder, cinnamon and espresso; blend until smooth
4. Add garbanzo beans; mix on high until entire mixture is well incorporated, thick and smooth
5. Evenly distribute mixture into mini muffin tins (fills 30-32)
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes (until it passes the toothpick test); remove and cool on a wire rack
If you are like me, and want to take a short cut, try Pamela’s Gluten Free Brownie Mix or Betty Crocker’s Gluten Free Brownie Mix and just add the 2 T of ground espresso to the mix. You could substitute peppermint extract, almond extract, or add some walnuts to give your brownies a bit of gourmet flair!
Have you had gluten free brownies before? Do you prefer them from scratch or a mix?