With summer days ahead, I like to use my oven as little as possible. This is a recipe for an appetizer that you could easily combine with a salad or use as a side dish, too!
Not only did this look great, it took less than 20 minutes to prepare!
What you will need for Greek 7 Layer Dip:
- 16 oz. Hummus
- 1 lb. ground lamb
- Greek seasoning
- 12 oz Tzatziki (Greek strained yogurt and cucumber dip – I like the Cedar’s brand best)
- Shredded lettuce
- 2 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped Kalamata olives
- 4 oz. crumbled feta cheese
- Pita bread, Naan bread or sturdy crackers for dipping (gluten-free bagel chips are my first choice)
So easy, my 12 year old could put it together:
- Brown the ground lamb with 2 tsp of greek seasoning (drain excess fat), let cool
- Spread the hummus on the bottom of a 2 quart clear serving dish
- Add the ground lamb as the next layer – spread evenly
- Spread the tzatziki on as the next layer
- Make a layer of shredded lettuce, then the tomato, red onion, olives and finally, top with crumbled feta.
- Serve with pita bread, naan bread or your favorite crackers.
This Greek version of 7 layer dip is a nice variation of a classic party staple. It is the perfect appetizer for a Super Bowl party, tailgating, pot luck dinners or just about any other occasion.