One of my personal goals this year has been to cut back drastically on our family’s food budget. There are five of us and we are a family on the go, so meals have to be planned and in many cases, pre-prepped (is that even a word?) or things will get very expensive.
I have been following a series on frugal meals at one of my favorite sites, Life as Mom, and will be using it as inspiration for my menu plan this week. My goal is to completely avoid the grocery store this week – one to use up what we have in freezers and the cabinets and the other is to save money.
Did I mention it is also Spring Break for our kids? And I am going to stay out of the grocery store? Yes, you heard that right! Because the kids are going to be home I plan on posting the breakfast and lunch options on the fridge, too. Just so I don’t have to hear, “What’s for (meal)?” three times a day.
- Chocolate chip waffles (made from a mix)
- Banana Bread French Toast (image at right from same site)
- Homemade Egg “MomMuffins” made with Whole Wheat English Muffins, eggs from my parents’ farm and Canadian Bacon
- Oatmeal with apple slices
- Or the standby, cereal and milk
- Egg salad sandwiches based on a recipe by Amanda’s Cookin’ (photo courtesy of Amanda)
- Peanut butter and jelly, banana or Nutella sandwiches
- Nachos made with leftovers from taco night
- Bagel pizzas
- Hot dogs
- Leftovers from any previous night’s dinner
- Monday – Sweet & sour meatballs, steamed rice, steamed green beans
- Tuesday – Soft tacos with ground beef, lettuce, tomato, cheese, rice and refried beans (photo from Kraft Recipes)
- Wednesday – Bow tie pasta with alfredo sauce, Canadian Bacon and peas
- Thursday – Kielbasa, hashbrowns and tossed salads
- Friday – Hamburgers on the grill, steak fries and steamed mixed veggies
- Saturday – Leftover buffet
- Sunday – Easter dinner at my brother’s house