Have you ever had a soup that you just couldn’t get enough of? I set out to make a ham and potato soup last night and after checking out a few recipes online, I decided to make my own recipe – and am I ever glad I did. It was SOOOO good! The challenge – use up the extra ham from Christmas Day, make something the kids would like, and make it gluten free. My simple Ham & Potato Soup satisfied all three challenges and got rave reviews from all. Making creamy soups gluten free can be a challenge since flour is often used as a thickening agent. Wait until you see what I used in this recipe – and it worked beautifully! SIMPLE HAM & POTATO SOUP RECIPE
- 1/2 large onion diced
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped carrots (I ran mine through the food processor)
- 1-2 cloves of finely chopped garlic
- 4 lbs of potatoes diced
- 6 cups of chicken broth (or vegetable broth or a combination of broth and water)
- 1-2 cups of diced ham
- 1/2 can of garbanzo beans or white beans pureed with some of the broth
- Salt, pepper, cayenne, and my favorite herb blend Herbamare – add a dash of each to taste
- Optional – 1/2 cup heavy cream or sour cream at the very end; shredded cheese to top
- In a large stock pot, saute the onion, garlic and carrot until soft.
- Add the potatoes, the broth and seasonings and bring to a boil.
- Boil 10-15 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- In a food processor, puree the beans with some of the broth – this is the secret ingredient to thicken the soup and give it extra nutrients and fiber, too!
- Once the potatoes are soft, whisk in the bean puree. You can leave the potatoes very chunky or use a potato masher to break them up a bit.
- Add in the ham and check your seasoning levels.
- Let the soup simmer for another 10-15 minutes.
- You can serve the soup now – it will be gluten-free and dairy-free at this point – or you can add 1/2 of heavy cream (or half & half or milk or sour cream) to finish it off.
- Top with cheese and enjoy!
I could eat soup every day and this simple recipe just made it in to favorites! Be sure to pin this recipe so you can find it quickly the next time you are looking for a healthy, hearty and simple soup recipe!