If you have a computer then you have valuable information on that computer, whether it is your tax return, photos of your children through the years, or other irreplaceable data. Computers are reliable for the most part, but we all know bad stuff happens to good computers all the time – laptops get stolen or left on the train, hard drives get the click of death, your daughter Suzy accidentally deletes all your files while trying to figure out where she downloaded that cool new video. It just happens. Trust me, I have had it happen at least 3 times in the last 4 years! Thank goodness I have had Carbonite, because otherwise it would all be gone.
Back it up!
Over the years I have tried many different methods for backing up my computer files. Back in the 90s, I would burn files to CDs whenever I got a “hunch” that something might be getting ready to fail me. Then in the early days of my design business, I got a Firelite external hard drive and while I could schedule how often I wanted to run backups, more often than not, the program just didn’t work as advertised.
A few years ago, after one too many close calls with data loss, I decided there had to be an easier way! I researched a variety of online backup options and decided to sign up for the Carbonite Online Backup FREE trial for 15 days (which did not even require a credit card – another plus). Within days it was clear to me that I had found the solution that worked for me – I didn’t even wait for the 15 day free trial to end – I gladly paid $59 for the year. And I have gladly paid $59 each and every year since because Carbonite has saved my business and my valuable family files not once, not twice, but three times in the past four years.
Why Carbonite works
- It is real time – within minutes of downloading a file or modifying a file Carbonite has identified the new file, put it in the queue, and has sent it up to to the backup server. (Note – the very first time you set up your files for back up it is going to take hours, but once you get going, it is pretty close to immediate!)
- It is automatic. I am juggling way too many things to remember to schedule a back up for my files.
- Carbonite is secure. They use the same encryption technology used by the online banking industry.
- I can access my files from anywhere. If I am working on my laptop in my favorite Starbucks and need a file from my desktop computer I can get it. Simply login to Carbonite, go to Remote Access and get whatever file you need for the day. No remembering to put something on a flashdrive, it’s there.
- The file recovery process is one-click easy. Nothing complicated here – a simple click of the restore button and you are back in business. With some plans you even have the power to decide which files are restored first, saving you even more time.
Put to the test, Carbonite comes through everytime
Actually, Carbonite has passed the test with FLYING colors over and over. The first time it saved me when a nasty computer virus managed to get past my virus protection and did some pretty crazy stuff to my system files. The only solution was to reformat my entire computer. I was a little stressed about possibly losing data, but since I could see every one of my files from my laptop through the Carbonite interface, I was confident all would be fine.
Once my hard drive had been reformatted I simply logged into my Carbonite account, installed the Carbonite software and ran the recovery program. Granted, it took about 12 hours to restore all my data, but EVERY last file made it! Talk about relief. That was 15 years of business and personal files that I could have potentially lost.
Since that first save, Carbonite has helped me through a failed hard drive and another system upgrade. Each time I went through the restore process with total confidence that everything I needed would still be there and I didn’t even worry about the downtime because I knew I could get the files I needed from anywhere in the meantime.
Carbonite is the one service I think every family with a computer needs to use – and at $59 a year, it is a small price to pay for the peace of mind that comes with knowing your files are safe – where ever and whenever you need them.
Disclosure – this is not a sponsored post, however the links in the post are affiliate links which simply means I get a small commission if you click through the link and sign up with Carbonite. All opinions are truly my own and Carbonite is a product I use, recommend to all my friends and simply trust.