As much as I love Spring, I dread it so much! Last Wednesday the sun was shining and the air was warm – I laced up my tennis shoes and headed out for a walk with a friend. Unfortunately, by the time I got home my eyes were watery, my throat itchy, I was sneezing like crazy and I was feeling like I was in a fog. And the layer of fine yellow pollen on my car – that should have tipped me off before I ever started.
So, how can you enjoy the Spring and not suffer through allergies? Here are a few tips:
- Do not sleep with the windows open. Keep the house cool using the air conditioner and an air purifier.
- Shower in the evening so you don’t take the pollen from outdoors to bed with you via your hair, your clothes and skin.
- Wash and dry your clothes in a washer/dryer rather than hanging them on the line to dry.
- Wash bed linens frequently and use.
- If you have to do outdoor yard work such as mowing the grass or weeding, wear a mask and gloves.
- Avoid working outdoors in the morning when the pollen count is highest.
- Use a saline nasal spray to relieve sinus pain and to thin out mucus.
- A variety of foods such as cayenne, ginger, onion and garlic are also helpful for thinning mucus.
- Get extra rest and good nutrition to help boost your immune system.
- If all else fails, see your doctor for a prescription antihistamine or a recommendation for an over the counter option.